History of Azamgarh Judgeship
AZAMGARH Origin of Name of District - The district is named after its headquarter town Azamgarh, which was founded in 1665 by Azam, son of Vikramajit. Vikramajit descendant of Gautam Rajputs of Mehnagar in pargana Nizamabad, like some of his predecessors, had embraced the faith of Islam. He had a Muhammadan wife who bore him two sons Azam and Azamat. While Azam gave his name to the town Azamgarh , and the fort, Azamat constructed the fort and settled the bazar of Azamatgarh in pargana Sagari. Location, Boundaries , Area and Population Location and boundaries- The district of Azamgarh comprises a somewhat irregularly shaped tract of country lying south of the Ghaghra river between the parallels of 25º38' and 26º27' north latitude and the meridians of 82º40' and 83º52' east longitude. It is bounded on the east by Balia, on the south east by Ghajipur, on the south west by Jaunpur, on the west for a short distance by Sultanpur, on the north west by Faizabad, on the north by Gorakhpur and on the north east by Deoria districts. The river Ghaghra separated the district from the Gorakhpur and Deoria District. While The boundaries with the other district is purely artificial. Area – According to the central statistical organization the district head and area of 5,744sq.km. On July 1, 1971, occupying 20th position in the state. Population- According to the census of 1971, the district occupied 6th position in the state in respect of population which was 28,57484 (including 14,26,217 females). The rural areas were inhabited by 27,08,617 persons (13,56,706 females) and the urban 1,48,867 persons 69,511 females). In the pre- independence period the district was in the charge of magistrate and collector, who was under control of the Divisional Commissioner with headquarters at Gorakhpur. The sanctioned magisterial and revenue staff consisted of six sub divisional officers. This number increased, in due course of times, to eight officers – on joint magistrate and seven deputy collectors- with first class magisterial and revenue powers. In addition there were six tahsildars who exercised second or third class magisterial powers and second class revenue powers in the respective tahsils. Apart from this, there were 11 honorary assistant collectors and a second class bench at Azamgarh. CIVIL JUSTICE The civil courts are functioning in the district from before 1857. In the first quarter of 19th century the district comprised the judgeship of Azamgarh with one sub-judge and three munsifs (city munsif, munsif haweli and munsif Mohammadabad). Later on sub-judge and two munsifs were further added in the sanctioned strength. Thereafter, there has been gradual increase in the number of civil courts. CRIMINAL JUSTICE At present the district and session judge constitutes the chief criminal court of the district. He is assisted by additional sessions judges, chief judicial magistrate and additional cheif judicial magistrates and each exercising his jurisdiction in the alloted tahsil of the district.