Originally the erstwhile Judgeship of Barpeta District was under the District of Kamrup with Head-Quarter at Guwahati which was under the than District and Sessions Judge of Lower Assam District (L-A-D) with Head quarter at Guwahati. The District & Session Judge Court of Barpeta was Established in the year 1985 June after separtion from the District of Kamrup. There are eleven courts under the district head Quarter at Barpeta and Sub-Divisional Head Quarter at Bajali Pathsala.
Name of the District Head Quarter and Sub-Divisional Head Quarter are as....
(A) District Head Quarter at Barpeta
1) The District & Session Judge;
2) The Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT);
3) The Additional District & Session Judge (FTC);
4) The Additional District & Sessions Judge;
5) The Civil Judge & Assistant Session Judge;
6) The Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM);
7) The Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM);
8) Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate (SADAR);
9) The Munsiff Number - 1;
10) The Munsiff Number - 2 cum Judicial Magistrate 1st Class;
11) Judicial Magistrate 1st Class;
(B) Sub-Divisional Head Quarter at Bajali,Pathsala
1) Additional District & sessions Judge:
2) Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate (MAFASSAL);
3) Munsiff cum Judicial Magistrate 1st Class.