For Online efiling please click on below mentioned Link :-
Bilaspur District belonged to Chhattisgarh Division of the Central Provinces and is situated between 21 degree 37 and 23 degree 7 north and 81 degree 12 and 83 degree 40 east. The District occupies in northern portion of the Chhattisgarh plain or upper basin of the Mahanadi and includes also a large track of hilly country to the north. In the 1906 the constitution of Bilaspur was entirely altered by the formation of the new Durg District, to which the south western portion of the Mungeli Tahsil was transferred. At the same time the part of the District lying to the south of the Mahanadi and Taraenga estate to the south of Shivnath were transferred to the Raipur District. On the session of the Sambalpur District to Bengal 1905, Chandarpur-Padampur and Malkhoroda estates were transferred to Bilaspur. Prior to these changes th area of the District was 8341 Sq.miles and it was reduced by them to 7602 Sq. miles.
The District was included in Chhattisgarh division and was under the supervision of the Commissioner of that Division. It was within the jurisdiction of the divisional judge of that division who was the Sessions Judge. All the courts were subordinate to judicial commissioner at Nagpur. He had also the jurisdiction within railway limits in the native states of Sakti and Raigarh on the east and Rewa on the North and over European British subjects within the native states of Shakti, Raigarh and Kawardha. He had a sanctioned staff of four assistants exercising full powers.
The District was divided into three Tahsils Bilaspur, Jangir and Mungeli, each Tahsil being a Sub Divison under an assistant, who was the Sub divisional Magistrate. There was a redistribution of the Tahsils on the Ist. January 1906 after the addition to this District of a tract from Sambalpur on the 16th. October 1905 and the formation of the Durg District. Even after the redistribution, either of the two Tahsils (Bilaspur and Jangir) were as large in area and population as many Districts of the Central Provinces.
With formation of Korba and Janjgir revenue Districts on may 1998, after redistribution of Tahsils, Pali, Katghora, Korba, Hardibazar and kartala were transfered to Korba revenue District. Similarly Tahsils of Janjgir-Champa and Sakti were transfered to Janjgir-Champa revenue District.
The Civil Court staff of the District consisted of a District Judge and a Subordinate Judge at the head quarters, at each Tahsils there was one Munshif and 2nd.Minshif at Bilaspur. The Tahsildars were additional judges in the Munshif’s Courts and the assistant were additional judges in the subordinate judges for trial of civil cases between land lords and Tenants under the tenancy acts. There were benches of Honrary magistrates at Bilaspur, Ratanpur and Seorinarayan. Besides these, there were seven Honorary magistrates, of whom four were Zamindars. All but two of Honorary magistrates exercised third class powers two exercised 2nd. Class powers. There was an Honorary Assistant Commissioner who was also additional Judge in the Subordinate Judges Courts.
C.P.Courts act was passed in 1904. In British Era the District judge would either be Barister at Law or a member of Indian Civil Services. Shri- Laxmi Narayan Agarwal was the First Indian District and Sessions Judge. He joined as District and Sessions Judge in the year 1922.
The Government of India Act was enacted in the year 1935. Under the Act High Court of Nagpur was constituted on 2-01-1936 as such Divisional Judge of the Chhattisgarh came under the Jurisdiction of the Nagpur High Court. After the reorganization of the State the High Court M.P. came into existence on 01-11-1956.
Bilaspur Civil District was formed on 15-08-1961. Shri- M.Z. Hasan was the first District and Sessions Judge of the Bilaspur Civil District. Till 15-08-1961 the Naib Tashildars, Tashildars and Extra Assistant Commissioners used to work as Magistrates as 3rd.Class, 2nd.Class and Ist. Class. The Civil Judges worked as Judicial Magistrates for the First Time on 15-08-1961.
Lok Adalat for the First Time in the M.P. was inaugurated in Bilaspur in the year 1987. Hon’ble Shri- Justice J.S. Verma, the then Chief Justice of M.P. High Court had inaugurated this function. Shri- Prakash Mehta was the District and Sessions Judge.
Later on the State of Chhattisgarh came into existence on 01-11-2000. High Court of Chhattisgarh at Bilaspur was established on 01-11-2000. Hon’ble Shri- Justice W.A.Shishak was the First Chief Justice.
After creation of Civil District Korba on 23rd October 2004, all cases pertaining to Korba, Katghora, Pali, Hardi Bazar, Kartala Tehsils were transferred to District Court, Korba.
At present Revenue District of Bilaspur is within the jurisdiction of District judge Bilaspur having headquarters at Bilaspur. Courts of Additional District Judges and Magistrates are situated at Mungeli and Pendra under Revenue District Bilaspur. Similarly courts of Additional District Judges and Magistrates are situated at Janjgir and Sakti under Revenue District Janjgir-Champa.
On 12.1.2009 tahshil Places Takatpur, Kota, Lormi, Marwahi Opened new Civil Judge Class-II Courts On 17.1.2011 at Bilha tahshil Civil Judge Class-II Court. Upgraded as Civil Judge Class-I