Court at Glance
Prior to its bifurcation, the jurisdiction of the District & Sessions Court, Sikkim, at Gangtok extended to all the four districts of Sikkim.
On July 5, 1994, vide notification no 54(103)Home/93/38, the State Government of Sikkim notified the following:
“In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 9 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 (V of 1898) and in suppression of all previous notifications on the subject, the State Government hereby divides the whole of Sikkim into two sessions divisions, one for East and North Districts and another for South and West Districts with the headquarters at Gangtok with immediate effect for the purpose of the said code.”
Consequent upon the creation of two separate Sessions Divisions vide the above notification, the High Court of Sikkim posted Shri T. D. Rinzing as District & Sessions Judge (South & West) and Shri A. P. Subba as District & Sessions Judge (East & North). The two Sessions Divisions, however, functioned from its headquarters at Gangtok.
The Courts Complex at Namchi, South Sikkim at the relevant time was a single storied “ekra” structure. On 27th December, 1996, Shri Justice Malay Sengupta, the then Hon'ble Acting Chief Justice of the High Court of Sikkim laid the foundation stone for a multi storied RCC building which was to house three Courts for South & West districts of Sikkim. The structure was inaugurated on 28th September, 2000, by Hon'ble Shri Justice, Ripusadan Dayal, Chief Justice of the High Court of Sikkim.
In March, 2000, vide letter No. V(38)”CB”/Confdl/HCS/8243-44 dated 23/03/2000, the High Court of Sikkim issued a letter to move the District & Sessions Court (South & West) from its headquarters at Gangtok to Namchi, South Sikkim and thereby notified that the District & Sessions Court (South and West) would function with its headquarters at Namchi.
Consequent upon the orders of the High Court of Sikkim, the District and Sessions Court (South & West) shifted to Namchi and started functioning from April 3, 2000. At the relevant time Shri T. W. Bhutia was the District & Sessions Judge (South & West).
It is understood that the Court complex at Namchi housed the Court of the Munsif Magistrate prior to 1970. During 1970 the Munsif Magistrate's Court was abolished and the Court of the Civil Judge cum Judicial Magistrate came into being. Shri T. D. Rinzing was the last Munsif Magistrate of the South District while Shri A. P. Subba became the first Civil Judge cum Judicial Magistrate (South). It was in the year 1998, the Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate cum Civil Judge (South/West) was established at Namchi Courts Complex. Dr. S. W. Lepcha was the first Chief Judicial Magistrate cum Civil Judge (South & West) to function from Namchi Courts Complex.