Santal Pargana district was carved out from Bhagalpur and Birbhum district in the year, 1856 after The Great Santal Hul 1855 . Mr. Ashley Eden was the first Deputy Commissioner of Santal Pargana, and Civil and Criminal jurisdiction was vested to the Deputy Commissioner, and Dumka was one of the Sub District of Santal Pargana. In 1872 the Santal Pargana was formed into a revenue non regulation district with a headquarter at Dumka and three sub districts, Rajamahal, Godda and Deoghar were reduced as sub division, and then the power of sessions judge was taken away from the Deputy Commissioner and assigned to the Sessions Courts of Birbhum and Bhagalpur. Accordingly jurisdiction of sessions court of Santal Pargana was vested with sessions courts at Bhagalpur who used to held circuit court at Dumka. In 1943 the post of Damin Magistrate-Cum-Superintendent has been created in Kathikund in Dumka Sub Division, and later on these Magistrates were designated as Resident Magistrate who had power to take cognizance of complaint cases and used to hold trial all the civil and criminal cases to all the Damin areas. In accordance with the recommendation of Santal Pargana enquiry committee two regular Sub Ordinate Judges were posted 1st at Dumka and 2nd at Deoghar in 1944. They were also subsequently vested with criminal powers. Under the regulation Dumka Judgeship was created and Sri Ram Anugrah Narayan became first District & Sessions Judge on 16.04.1947. The criminal justice in the district of Santal Pargana was brought completely at par with other places in the State w.e.f 5th May, 1951. Santal Pergana district was designated as Santal Pergana division and Dumka became one of the districts of the division having headquarter at Dumka. The family court at Dumka was inaugurated by Hon'ble Mr. V. D. Narayan, Judge, Jharkhand High Court on 20th August, 2003. Presently it is Sub-capital of Jharkhand State and the commissionary headquarters of Santal Pergana division which has 6 districts including Dumka district.
Dumka judgeship at a glance
There are three buildings in the primises of Civil Court, Dumka consisting main building, Ten Court building and Fast Track Court building. The main building was opened on 12.04.1947 by the Hon'ble Mr. Sri Krishna Singh, The then premier of Bihar. 70 class-III employees and 77 class-IV employees are working at present. Adequate No of quarters for Judicial officers are available here besides that there are 25 quarters are also available for class-III employees. The centralize filing System under the e-Court project has allready been started.