In the beginning of the twentieth century, the district formed part of Delhi Division. The Deputy Commissioner was subordinate to the Commissioner and Superintendent of the Delhi Division in revenue work and general administration and to the Divisional and Sessions Judge, Delhi, in respect of criminal work. The District Judge was subordinate to the Divisional Judge in all matters relating to the administration of civil law. Following the territorial and administrative changes in 1912 and upto 1950, the district was under the Hisar Sessions Division and the District & Sessions Judge, Hisar, used to visit Gurgaon for the disposal of Civil and Criminal work as an appellate Court. In 1950, the district was transferred from Hisar Sessions Division to Karnal Sessions Division. Again, in 1955, it was transferred to Rohtak Sessions Division to which it remained attached upto October, 1966. On November 1, 1966, the district became a full-fledged Sessions Division.
The Judicial Courts at Gurgaon were shifted to the present building in the year 1975. Prior to that, the Courts were functioning in the old Judicial Complex.
Establishment of Family Court
Family Court, Gurgaon came into existence on 08.11.2007 vide Govt. of Haryana Notification no. S. O. 92/CA/1984/S. 3/2007.