FEROZEPORE, is a city in Ferozepur District in Punjab, India. The name Ferozepur obviously means the town of Feroze. Probably the founder was Feroz Shah Tughlak (A.D.1351-88), as the place must always have occupied an important position in the line of communication between Delhi and Lahore. However, another tradition ascribes its foundation to one of the Chiefs of Bhatti clan namely Firoz Khan, of the middle of the sixteen century. Amazingly, the name of Ferozepur finds mention in the autobiography of Hitler (other than Mein Camph) written by his Propaganda Minister Mr.Gobbles. During the war between Allies and Axis, the Allies used cartridges which were made in Ferozepur. In those days such ammunition was made in the Fort of Ferozepur. When Axis were loosing the battle, Hitler noted that on the said Cartridges “Made in Ferozepur” was inscribed and at that time he enquired as to where this city was because he wanted to destroy it.
Before 15 August 1973 this district was the southernmost of the seven districts of the Jalandhar Division of the Punjab State. On that date, the new Ferozepur Division was formed and Ferozepur District became a part of it. The boundary of the present Ferozepur District on the east runs along the Moga, Faridkot, Mukatsar and Fazilka districts. On the North-east, the River Sutlej generally separates it from the Jalandhar and Kapurthala districts. The United Stream of the Sutlej and Beas generally separates it from the Taran Taran district in the north-west and farther down from Pakistan, with exception of some areas on each side of river. The Revenue district is divided into three sub divisions namely Ferozepur, Zira and Guruharsahai. The Ferozepur Sessions Division consists of Sub divisions namely Guruharsahai, Zira and Ferozepur as District Headquarters.