Free Legal Aid
TYPES OF LEGAL SERVICES PROVIDED
Free Legal Services provided by District Authority :-
- Payment of court fee, process fees and all other charges payable or incurred in connection with any legal proceedings.
- Providing Advocate in a legal proceedings.
- Obtaining and supply of certified copies of orders and other documents in legal proceedings.
- Preparation of appeal, paper book including printing and translation of documents in legal proceedings.
Eligible persons for getting free legal services :-
- Women and children.
- Members of SC/ST.
- Industrial workmen.
- Victims of mass disaster, violence, flood, drought, earthquake, industrial disaster.
- Disabled persons.
- Person in custody.
- Persons whose annual income does not exceed Rs. 1,00,000/-.
Lok Adalat is a forum where the disputes/cases pending in the court of law or at pre-litigation stage are settled/compromised amicably. The Lok Adalat has been given statutory status under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987. Under the said Act, the award made by the Lok Adalats is deemed to be the decree of a civil court and is final and binding on all parties and no appeal lies before any court against its award.
Nature of Cases to be Referred to Lok Adalat
- Any case pending before any court.
- Any dispute which has not been brought before any court and is likely to be filed before the court.
Provided that any matter relating to an offence not compoundable under the law shall not be settled in Lok Adalat.
How to get the Case Referred to the Lok Adalat for Settlement
A) Case pending before the court :-
- If the parties agree to settle the dispute in Lok Adalat or
- One of the parties makes an application to the court or
- The court is satisfied that that the matter is an appropriate one for settlement in Lok Adalat.
B) Any dispute at pre-litigative stage.
The District Legal Services Authority as the case may be on receipt of an application from any one of the parties to any pre-litigation stage matter refer such matter to the Lok Adalat for amicable settlement.