Golaghat District is situated in between 26 degrees and 27 degrees North latitude and in between 93 degrees and 94 degrees 17 minutes East latitude with a population of 9,46,279 out of which 4,90,286 male and 4,55,993 female according to the cencus of 2001 which comprises 3 subdivisions namely Golaghat, Dhansiri with head quarter at Sarupathar and Bokakhat. The World famous National park Kaziranga is situated at a distance of about 70 K.M. from the District Head Quarter and within the jurisdiction of Civil Sub-Division of Bokakhat. The Numaligarh Refinery one of the fruitful products of long standing Assam agitation is situated just 27 K.M. away from the Head Quarter. The Baisnavite monastery under the name and style of "Athkhelia Namghar is only at a distance of 16 K.M. east from the Head Quarter. The District is surrounded by beautiful hills, water falls, Artesian well such as Garam Pani to its southern side which easily attract the tourists of not only from the country but also from the abroad.
Another chapter added to the services of the District Judiciary, Golaghat on a humble Wednes Day dated 23rd July , 2014. The Bokakhat Sub-Divisional Court was inaugurated by the Hon,ble Mr. Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre, Chief Justice, Gauhati High Court, on 23-07-2014. Mr. Raktim Duarah (Registrar Admin.) and Mr. Kuntal Sarma Pathak (Joint Registrar(PM&P)) also graced the occasion. Golaghat is a beautiful plot though the District Judiciary does not have its own building but a new Six-Storied building of Higher Judiciary has been sanctioned for new construction, which will encompasses all the Head Quarter Courts and offices of Golaghat District Judiciary.
At present, there are 14(fourteen) Judicial Courts in the Golaghat District having population of 9,46,279 and literacy rate of 69.38% as per 2001 census.
The existing courts within the District & Sessions Judge establishment are :-
(1) The Court of the District & Sessions Judge,
(2) The Court of the Addl.District & Sessions Judge,
(3) The Court of Civil Judge cum Asstt. Sessions Judge,
(4) The Court of Munsiff No. 1 ,
(5) The Court of Munsiff No. 2 ,
(6) The Court of Munsiff cum JMFC(M), (Dhansiri Sub-division, Sarupathar)
(7) The Court of Munsiff cum JMFC(M), (Bokakhat Sub-division, Bokakhat) and
(8) The Court of Member, MACT.
All the Criminal Courts in the Golaghat District are under the establishment of the Chief Judicial Magistrate, Golaghat. The existing courts within the said establishment are :-
(1) The Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate,
(2) The Court of Addl. Chief Judicial Magistrate,
(3) The Court of Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate(S),
(4) The Court of Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate(M),(Dhansiri Sub-division, Sarupathar),
(5) The Court of Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate(M),(Bokakhat Sub-division, Bokakhat) and
(6) Two Courts of Judicial Magistrate 1st class.