An Introduction Blessed with nature's beauty , the district of Gumla is covered by dense forests , hills and river. It is situated in the southwest portion of the Jharkhand State .The District was carved out of Ranchi district on 18th May 1983. Previously it was a Sub-division of old Ranchi district. The district lies between 22o 35'' to 23o 33'' north latitude and 84o 40'' to 85o 1'' east longitude . The various legends are in currency regarding its name. The most popular one ascribes to its word 'Gumla' in Mundari language ,which relates to the occupation of the local Tribes in rice processing work (Dhan-Kutna). The second legend 'Gau-Mela' relates to cattle fair. Cattle fair was weekly held in Gumla town every Tuesday. In rural areas ,Nagpuri and Sadri people still call it 'Gomila'. Till 30th April 2001 Gumla district consisted of 2 Sub-divisions viz Gumla and Simdega. But after the creation of Jharkhand state , a new district of Simdega was carved out of Gumla district on 30th April ,2001. now, Gumla district consists of only one sub-division namely Gumla . Total area of the district is about 5327 sq. km. The total population of district as per 2011 census is 1025656, out of which 514730 is male population and 510926 is female population . There is predominance of tribal people in Gumla district . SC population is 27088, ST population is 559772. Since obvious that the district has a total of 68% of tribal population ,therefore, it comes within scheduled area. MELA. This fair took place once in a year and continues for one week. Here all items of daily use, utensils, ornaments, grains, cattle etc were sold & exchanged. Since there was no other alternative to get the items, people make a long list of items required during the year (whether it is for marriage ceremony or for any occasions) and them in this MELA. People from distant places used to come here for buying &selling cattle such as cows & bullocks for agricultural purposes. Gradually people started to inhabit this place. It grew into a village and got the name Gumla as a derivative of GAU-MELA. During medieval era Chhotanagpur region was reined by kings of NAGA dynasty. BARAIK DEVENANDAN SINGH was given right to rule over Gumla circle. It is said that during the KOLH REBEL in 1931-32, VAKTAR SAY had played a prominent role .GANGA MAHARAJ ,who built the KALI TEMPLE at SRI RAMNAGAR,had played active role in QUIT INDIA MOVEMENT in 1942. For this great contribution for independence, he was honored with LIFE TIME PENSION by government of India. During British rule GUMLA was under LOHARDAGA district. In 1843 it was brought under BISHUNPUR province that was further named RANCHI. In fact Ranchi district come into existence in 1899. In 1902 Gumla become Sub-division under Ranchi district . On 18 may 1984 GUMLA DISTRICT came into existence. Sri JAGANNATH MISHRA then ruling Chif Minister of Bihar inaugurated it and Sri DWARIKA NATH SINHA acquired the post of 1st Deputy Commissioner of the just born district. It is a matter of great regret that GUMLA is a territory of great historical importance has not been brought under research map. The Gumla District Court was established in the year 1987 and the first district judge was Sri B.K.Dubey. It has three sub-Building as Main Building, Old Building and Fast Track Court Building . The Old Building of Civil Court ,Gumla was established in the Year 1987 The New Building of Civil Court ,Gumla was established in the year 2002 The FTC Building of Civil Court ,Gumla was established in the Year 2002 Civil Courts ,Gumla is under the Jurisdiction of Jharkhand High Court w.e.f 18/04/1987 having currently sanctioned 17 Courts including PDJ Court, Family Court, Mediation Centre, Sub Judge Court, CJM Court, SDJM Court, Munsif & Adl. Munsif Court, JM Court & Juvenile Board. Presently 11 courts are working. There is a Video Conferencing Studio in the Main Court building which is used for Video Conferencing .It is connected with the Mandal Jail, Gumla and the prisoners are produced before the Judge of the Civil Courts through Video Conferencing. At present P.D.J., A.D.J., C.J.M., A.C.J.M., S.D.J.M. and all Judicial Magistrates of the First Class conduct some of the court affairs like remand, daily production etc. through Video Conference. This system was inaugurated by Hon'ble Mr. Chief Justice M. Karpaga Vinayagam in the presence of Hon'ble Mr. D.P. Singh, Hon'ble Mr. Justice N.N. Tiwari on 07/07/2007. Now our Civil Court,Gumla is well equipped Computer Cell under e-Court project. All the systems are connected with centralized server. Individual Court wise cases are being entered on regular basis and are in the process to generate daily Cause List with the help of systems and to provide related information on Internet which anyone will be able to access from any location.