JUDICIAL DISTRICT OF THODUPUZHA
Idukki district lies in the eastern part of the state. This District is the second largest district in area basis,Palakkad being the first. The District Court of Idukki exercises jurisdiction over an area of 4320.89 Sq. km comprising the Taluks Devikulam, Peermade, Udumbanchola and Thodupuzha . The district judicial head quarters is situated at Muttom, near Thodupuzha. Before the formation of Idukki District in 1976, the talukes of Devikulam, Peermade and Udumbanchola formed part of Kottayam District. The District Court of Idukki was established in the year 1978 as per government order G.O (MS) 92/78/Home dated 21.10.1978 .
The District of Idukki is unique in many respects. It is here spices like cardamom,pepper, tea and coffee, clove, Karuvapatta were cultivated. The famous wild life sanctuary of Thekkady attracts thousands of people every year. The tallest Arch Dam of India is constructed across Kuruvan-Kurathi hills in this district. The largest village in kerala Kannandevan Village (55 Sq.km) and the smallest village Kudayathoor having 22 Sq.km are situated in this district. The Hill Stations at Munnar and Thekkady, The beauty of Wagamon are the most saught after tourist destinations in Kerala .
The districts total land area accounts for 12.9% of the State but, the population is only 3.71% of the total population. The density of population is only 252 per Sq.KM. The literary rate is 88%. Most of the land area of Idukki district are situated above 2500 to 6000 ft. above mean sea level. The court at Devikulam is situated at an altitude of 6000 feet above mean sea level.
Even before the independence, Munsiff Court was established at Devikulam on 8.4.1914 as per order of the erstwhile Travancore government. It has completed more than 100 years as on 8.4.2014. The District Munsiff Court at Thodupuzha was functioning from 8.10.1926. after independence the Devikulam Munsiff Court was made a Munsiff-Magistrate Court in 1965 and (after formation district) a Judicial First Class Magistrate Court was established at Nedumkandom and Adimaly in 1980 and 1981 a Munsiff Court and Judicial First Class Magistrate Court was established in Idukki in 1983 and a Sub court and M.M Court was started at Kattappana in 1993. An Addl. District Court started functioning in 1982 and a Spl.Court for trial of NDPS Cases was established in 1996.
Two Fast track Sessions Court started functioning in 2001 and now they are converted into Addl. District &Sessions Court III & IV. Two Family courts one at Thodupuzha was established in 2012 as per GO(MS) 316/2012/Home dated 13-12-2012 .
There are four taluks in this district. They are Devikulam, Peermade, Udumbanchola and Thodupuzha.The taluks contain 65 villages between them. Thodupuzha is the only municipal town in the district. The largest village is Kannan Devan Hills of Devikulam Taluk with an area of 557 km 2 , and Kudayathoor of Thodupuzha Taluk is the smallest village with an ares of 21 km2.
There are eight community development Blocks: Devikulam, Adimali, Nedumkandom, Azhutha, Kattappana, Idukki, Elamdesom and Thodupuzha. There are 51 Panchayaths in the district. Thodupuzha is the only Municipality and Idukki is the only township in the district. Munnar panchayat of Devikulam block is the largest in the district with an area of 557 km2 and Karimkunnam in Thodupuzha block is the smallest panchayat of the district with an area of only 22 km2. The district headquarters were originally located at Kottayam and moved to Painavu in June 1976. The developmental activities are co-ordinated by the District Rural Development Agency.