Prior to the independence of our country, Jind was ruled by Maharaja of Jind. He was the head of Judicial System and appointed Nizam (Magistrate). The said Nizam used to visit the place of occurrence and had to decide the case at the spot.
Courts at Jind had been shifted in the present Judicial Complex on 01.07.1983 and prior to that same were functioning in the historical building of court which was constructed by Maharaja Gajpat Singh in the year 1775. The Britishers had acquired /occupied the said building from the Maharaja but onwards from the year 1803, Rajas gave help to the Britishers with man, money and material as and when required. It may be added here that old buildings at Narwana and Safidon where courts were functioning earlier have no historical importance.
After independence, in the beginning, one court of the Sub Judge was set up at Jind in the year 1952 under Sangrur Sessions Division. During the reorganization of Punjab state in the year 1966, Sangrur District was bifurcated and Jind and Narwana Tehsils were allocated to Haryana and were constituted into Jind District. The Jind Tehsil was bifurcated into two Tehsils of Jind and Safidon in the year 1967. After the organization of Haryana state, Jind Sessions Division has two Sub Divisions namely Narwana and Safidon. Court of Senior Sub Judge-cum Chief Judicial Magistrate, Jind was established on 31.10.1966. A separate court of Chief Judicial Magistrate, Jind was set up on 18.06.1974. One court of Additional District & Sessions Judge, Jind was set up on 18.10.1970. It was declared a separate Sessions division vide notification dated 25.06.1979 and a District & Sessions Judge named Sh. K.L.Wason was appointed, who assumed the charge of the post of District & Sessions Judge, Jind on 06.07.1979, because earlier Jind was the part of Rohtak Sessions Division and that time Sessions Judge of Rohtak used to visit for 10 days in a month and worked as Presiding Officer at Jind. One more court of Additional District & Sessions Judge (II) was also set up on 18.06.1984.
The exact year of formation of Bar Association, Jind is not traceable for want of record. However, as per information furnished by the secretary, Distt. Bar Association, Jind, Sh. Kalu Ram started his practice as pleader at Jind in the year 1938. In decade of 60, Sh. Ram Singh was elected as a president of Bar Association, Jind. In 1968 Ist election of D.B.A. Jind was held and Sh. Hari Madhav was elected as president.
HISTORY OF SUB DIVISION COURT, NARWANA
The courts at Narwana were established for more than 150 years ago. The first court at Narwana was established in the year 1857 during the regime of Maharaja of Patiala. Sh. Thakura Singh Ji was appointed as Ist Judge at Narwana, who at that time was also called Nizam. After independence one court of Sub Judge headed by Sh. R.S.Sarkaria was set up in the year 1949 and at that time his Lordship belonged to Patiala Judicial service. In the year 1964 Narwana was elevated from Tehsil to Sub Division and it remained under District Sangrur of state of Punjab. Another court of Sub Judge at Narwana was setup in the year 1976. Later on one court of Sub Judge presided by Senior Judicial Officer was converted to that of Additional Senior Sub Judge in the year 1986.
The courts at Narwana were earlier functional in old Judicial Complex building situated near Railway Station, Narwana. In 2010, Courts were shifted to new Judicial Court Complex building in Mini secretariat on Jind-Patiala road.
Similarly, the exact year of formation of Bar Association, Narwana is not traceable for want of record. However, as per information furnished by the President Bar Association, Narwana, there were four or five members in the year 1951-52. In the year 1960-61 late Sh. Kali Ram Mor, advocate was elected first president of Bar Association, Narwana and it was starting of formation of Bar Association, Narwana.
HISTORY OF SUB DIVISION COURT, SAFIDON
First of all, one court of Sub Judge was established at Safidon on 4.10.1975, which was later on converted to Addl. Senior Sub Judge on 6.6.1986. The court was setup in the building of Canal Department and it was adjacent to the Mubarik Fort of Raja Raghbir singh of Jind. Now the court is functioning in new Court Complex. Subsequently, one more court of Sub.Judge was established on 3.6.1986 but later on, the same was withdrawn.
As per information furnished by Sh. Gopal Krishan , Addl. Civil Judge(Sr.Divn.), Safidon, Bar Association was formed in the year 1976 and Sh. Randhir Singh was the president at the time of formation .
Nodal Officer, District Level Computer Committee, Jind (Haryana)
Name of Nodal Officer
Sh. Amarjit Singh, Additional District & Sessions Judge Jind.