District Court Kishtwar

Kishtwar

District Kishtwar has been curved out in the year

2007 and it started functioning as independent

administrative unit on 01-04-2007. Kishtwar town

is the HQ of District Kishtwar situated at a distance

of 235 kms from the winter capital of Jammu and

Kashmir State. It is located between 35-55 and 45-

97 degrees longitudinal; however thealtitude of the

District varies from 3000-15000 ft. above the sea

level. Commonly known as the 'Land of

Sapphire and Saffron' , it is also very rich in forest

products. Kishtwar is surrounded by the District

Anantnag, Distirct Dodaand also touches the

boundaries of state Himachal Pradesh. Kishtwar

District is a newly formed district of Jammu and

Kashmir. As of 2011 it is the third least populous

district of Jammu and Kashmir (out of 22), after

Kargil and Leh.The District has derived its name

from "Kishat Rishi" who stayed here. It is the is the

modified version of earlier name of Kishaswar.

Kishtwar in its ancient form Kashthavata, is first

referred to in the Rajatarangini during the empire

of Raja Kalsa of Kashmir, when "Uttamaraja", the

ruler of Kashthavata visited the court of Kashmiri

king in company with several other hill chiefs to

pay their respects to the Raja. Kishtwar is

surrounded by the mighty Himalayas from all the

sides , kindling off in Marwah-Warwan valley,

Paddar valley and Chhatroo valley. Kishtwar

endowed with dense forests of deodar, fir and pine

is treasure of scenic beauty. There are high altitude

mountains ranging between 20,000 feet to 21,000

feet like Num Kum, Burmah and Barnag. It offers

tremendous scope for pilgrim tourism also as some

important shrines are located in the area. These

include Ziarat Zain-Shah-Sahib, Farid-ud-Din

Sahib, Hazrat Asrar-ud-Din Sahib, Athara Bhuja

Devi temple, Chandi Mata temple and Hatta Wali

Matta. Kishtwar merged with the State of Jammu

and Kashmir in 1821, A.D. With the passage of

time Kishtwar became a Tehsil of District

Udhampur and remained its part till 1948, when it

became part of newly created District Doda in the

wake of first re-organization of the state during the

post-independence period.