The history of the city dates back to the 12th century A.D. when the Hada Chieftain, Rao Deva, conquered the territory and founded Bundi and Hadoti. Later, in the early 17th century AD during the reign of the Mughal Emperor Jahangir, the ruler of Bundi -Rao Ratan Singh, gave the smaller principality of Kota to his son, Madho Singh. Since then Kota became a hallmark of the Rajput gallantry and culture. The south eastern region of Rajasthan known as Hadoti comprises of Bundi, Baran, Jhalawar and Kota is a treasure of history dating back to several centuries. Prehistoric caves ,paintings, formidable forts and the mighty chambal river hurtling from the Vindhyas are dotted in the region. When Jait Singh of Bundi defeated the Bhil Chieftain Koteya in a battle, he raised the first battlement or the 'Garh'(fort) over his severead head. The Independent state of kota became a reality in 1631 when Rao Madho Singh, the second son of Rao Ratan of Bundi was made the ruler, by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan. Soon Kota outgrew its parent state to become bigger in area, richer in revenue and more powerful. Maharao Bhim Singh played a pivotal role in Kota's history, having held a 'Mansab' of five thousand and being the first in his dynasty to have the title of Maharao. Kota is situated on the banks of chambal river and is quickly emerging as an important industrial centre. It boasts of Asia's largest fertilizer plant, precision instrument unit and atomic power station nearby. Surprisingly unexplored, the Kota region of Rajasthan has some splendid treasures for the tourist to take home memories of. Its impregnable fortresses, sprawling palaces, exquisitely wrought palaces and lovely waterways act as a magnificent foil to its exotic wildlife and delicate fresco Paintings. . Situated on the banks of the Chambal River, at an important juncture of the trade route between Delhi and Gujrat, Kota is Rjasthan's Fifth Largest City. This Bustling, sprawling city is also called the industrial capital of the state. The tentacles of the modern world have the city in its grip with the Chambal Valley Project giving it a major position on the state's industrial map. Chemicals, fertilizers, synthetic fibers, tyre-cord and sophisticated instruments, industry's mainstay, have helped in pushing this ancient city into the forefront of modernization. Yet memories of its ancient links linger strongly. Present Day Kota owes its foundations to a Kotya Bhil warrior who 800 years ago built a small fortification at akelgarh and put up a protective mud-wall around it all the way to Retwali. In 1580, Rao Madho Singh strengthened both the fortification and the wall. In time to come, Kota acquired the Hallmark of rajput power as well as culture.
Kota High Court
During the last days of ruler ship of Maharao Ummed Singh II the Mahakma Khas of Kota declared for the establishment of Kota High Court vide order dated 07-12-1938. The Kota High Court started functioning from 01-01-1939. The first Chief Judge of Kota High Court was Rai Bahadur Rambabu Saxena who occupied the Chair till 30-10-1939. Afte his becoming the member of Mahama Khas, he was seceded by a renowned academician, Director of Education Lala Daya Krisha. In 1944, Rai Bahadur Bhagat Jagannath was Chief Justice and Pandit Brijkishore Topawas pusine judge of Kota High Court. The object behind establishing Kota High Court reflects from the order of its constitution published in the official gazette of Kota which is reproduced for ready reference. Since its inception, District & Sessions court, Kota was running at Jhala House,Surajpole, Kota before moving to 'Lal Kothi', a heritage building constructed around AD 1870-75. Lal Kothi was a property of erstwhile Kota state. After independence 'Lal Kothi' was handed over to the government of Rajasthan and District & Sessions court, Kota resumed its functioning from the said property.