Emerson House presently housing the Court of District and Sessions Judge, Mandi, H.P. is one of the historical buildings of Mandi Town. Named after H. W. Emerson, Superintendent of Raja Jogindersen, the building, a master piece of Pahari Architecture was built in the year of 1918 and parts were annexed to it in 1933. For decades, the Emerson House remained under the domain of Raja of Mandi, a sub-Himalayan Princely State, and probably acted as a place of his Judicial Administration. The building, a double storied one is situated in the heart of Mandi Town, and now surrounded by multi-storey complexes. Despite that the sheen and shine of Emerson House has not faded, and it still stands tall with majesty and grandeur, and continues to serve as the principal seat of Judicial functioning in District Mandi.
|Area||1,525 sq mi|
|Altitude||1044 meters (3,425 feet)|
|Longitude and Latitude||76.9313675 and 31.7081655|
In pre 1966, District and Sessions Judge, Sessions Division Mandi and Chamba, functioned at this place, but re-organization of State in 1966, brought some changes and a new Sessions Division for Mandi, Kullu and Lahuhal Spiti Districts was created with headquarter at Mandi. Again there was a change, when a separate Sessions Division for Kullu and Lahuhal Spiti Districts with its head headquarter, at Kullu was set up.