Hailakandi was constituted as a civil subdivision on 1st June, 1869 under Cachar district and the courts of Hailakandi subdivision was under District & Sessions Judge court of Cachar, Silchar. Subsequently, it was upgraded to district in 1989.The District & Sessions Judge court Hailakandi was inaugurated on 20.04.1992,vide Notification No.JD.J231/89/52, dated 8.4.1992. There are 8(Eight ) nos of courts in this judgeship. Those are as follows-
1. The District & Sessions Judge court,
2. The Addl. District & Sessions Judge court,
3. The Civil Judge & Assistant Sessions Judge court,
4. The chief Judicial Magistrate court,
5. The Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate court,
6. The Munsiff No.1 Magistrate court,
7. The Munsiff No.2 Magistrate court,
8.The Judicial Magistrate court.
Besides there are Motor Accident Claim Tribunal, The District Consumer Forum and the District Legal Services Authority.