The Erstwhile Judgeship of West Dinajpur was established in 1890. In 1981 the judgeship of West Dinajpur in the state of West Bengal under Honb'le High Court Calcutta was bifurcated from Jalpaiguri district. On 16.05.1983 the judgeship of West Dinajpur was further bifurcated from the Judgeship of Malda. Once again the judgeship is divided into two, one is Dakshin Dinajpur and another is Uttar Dinajpur in 1994. The judgeship of Dakshin Dinajpur has received a newly created sub-divisional court named Gangarampur at Buniadpur on 21.09.1998.Now the Dakshin Dinajpur Judgeship is comprising two sub-divisions – one is Balurghat, the Head Quarters, and the other is Gangarampur Sub division at Buniadpur.