DISTRICT COURT SURENDRANAGAR
The existing Surendranagar District was earlier called “Zalawad” and the term “Zalawad” derives its name from the Zala Rajputs who ruled over a number of States such as Dhrangadhra, Wadhwan, Limbdi, Sayla etc. The town of Surendranagar from which the district derives its present name was previously known as Wadhwan camp and was the headquarters of the British Political Agents. The Political Agents withdrew from Wadhwan camp and restored it to the Wadhwan ruler in 1946 A.D. and it was then renamed “Surendranagar” after the name of the ruler Shri Surendrasinhji of the former State of Wadhwan and has been the district headquarters since 1948.
In November,1956, the States were reorganized and the bigger bilingual State of Bombay was formed with Vidarbha, Marathawada, Saurashtra and Kachchh regions and Surendranagar District became a part of the bigger bilingual State of Bombay. As per Notification No.SRO.1957/5329(ii)-III dated 23/03/1959 of Home Department, State of Bombay “Zalawad District” came to be known as Surendranagar District with effect from 1st April 1959. The State of Bombay was bifurcated on 1st May 1960 and separate states of Gujarat and Maharashtra were formed and since that date Surendranagar District became a part of the State of Gujarat. The first District Judge of “Zalawad” was Hon’ble Mr.J.A.Baxi. The District Court building at District Headquarters Surendranagar has been constructed in 1950 and the first District Judge of Surendranagar District was Hon’ble Mr.M.B.Desai. At present Ms.S.V.Pinto is presiding over as Principal District & Sessions Judge, Surendranagar from 13/09/2018.