In the Kingdom of Cochin, Desavazhis and Naduvazhis were empowered to settle the disputes following the prevailing customary law. More serious matters used to be attended by the monarch himself. In 1812, for the first time in its history, graded law courts were established under the Diwanship of Colonel Munro, in the Kingdom of Cochin. The first Subordinate Courts (Sub Courts) were established by Colonel Munro at Trichur (Thrissur) and Tripunithura.
District & Sessions Court Thrissur in it's present form came in to existence after 1st November 1956 on formation of Kerala State. The Thrissur Courts were earlier situated at Chembukkavu, where the 'Kerala Sahitya Academy' is presently functioning. At that time there were only District Munsiff court and village court.The Civil Station building at Thrissur was inaugurated in the year 1957 and there after the courts functioning at Chembukkavu were shifted to this building. During those days there were only one District Court,one Sub Court, two Munsiff Courts and three Magistrate Courts.
On 18th November 2017 our dreams becomes reality, the New District court complex was inaugurated by Honourable Mr Justice Kurian Joseph,Judge,Supreme Court of India. The building is situated at Ayyanthole,Thissur and near to Civil Station.The place of justice is a five storey building with the floor area covering about 15000 square metres.This building has been designed to comply with International Standards for Court buildings.
In the Court Complex at present Sixteen Court halls are working. At present four District & Sessions Courts, MACT Court, three Sub Courts, four Munsiff Courts, Chief Judicial Magistrate Court and three JMFC Courts are functioning in this Court building.There is one separate three storey building in the Court Premises for ADR Centre,Bar Association, Advocate Clerk association and Government Pleaders & Prosecuters offices..There is a Canteen facility under District Court Compound is provided. All the Courts have been computerized.All modern facilities like Intercom, Case Display Monitors for all courts,KIOSK information system ,Water purifiers in each floor,Five elevators,DG set and Centralised UPS for uninterupted power supply are also provided in this court complex.